Pinned Post


Please click HERE to join in "Ellibelle's Crafty Wednesday" challenge.


Please click HERE to join in "I Spy With My Little Eye" challenge.


Oct 5, 2016

Mixed Media Canvas - Inspired by Brenda


Hello everyone, I have something a little different so show you today. I decided to play along in this week's Allsorts challenge (which is Penny Black and More's sister challenge where I am a DT member, so not entering for the prize drawing), but they always seem to have such fun challenges there so I am hoping to join in more often just for the fun and inspiration. Not sure about anyone else, but I have been feeling so uninspired recently, checking out all the challenges online or ideas on pinterest doesn't help me at all and really make things worse (too much inspiration you could say), so I need to find just a couple of challenges that I follow closely and not all of them. Allsorts seems a good place to start as some of my PB & More team mates are on the design team and even though I won't be entering into the prize drawing, it'll be fun to create following their fun themes! 
 
And a new challenge blog has just started "The Flower Challenge", which is another blog I will be adding to the challenge blogs to keep a closer look at. Their first theme this month is "Anything Goes" (with flowers as a focal point of course), and I am looking forward to their upcoming challenges.


This week the theme at Allsorts is "Re- Run", meaning CASE a creation made previously by one of the DT members for Allsorts, this was the prefect chance for me to CASE one of Brenda's beautiful creations.  Her blog is full of amazing design, check it out and see for yourself!!
 This was pretty messy to make, but was lots of fun.  And I got to use products I haven't used in probably a decade, like my paper crimper, Stampin Up's retired lumiere and mica powder. 

Like Brenda, I started out with a canvas, which I "stole" from my husband's art supplies. But that's ok, occasionally I see him taking my copics without asking :-)
Harlequins and dots were done using stencils and modeling paste. After this dried, I painted lumiere (pearlescent acrylic paint from Stampin up - probably retired) over the texture and then rubbed some gold mica powder over it making sure not to cover the whole canvas with it. Next I added all other elements (crimped paper, die cut flowers, butterflies, flourish and word), which I also used lumiere and gold mica on before adhering to the canvas. Sticky dots and pearls were used as flower centers and for the butterflies, and I decided to darken it just a little but by using a turquoise gelato here and there, and little bit of a lilac gelato to bring in a little more color. 

This might have been the messiest thing I've ever worked on, my fingertips looked like they turned gold and were really shiny, but it rinsed off easily with just soap and water.
 The canvas measures approx. 5.5 x 5.5 inches.

Below is Brenda's canvas. Isn't it absolutely amazing!! As you can see I followed her design closely, but of course had to switch things up with products I have. And then I ended up using a shade of lilac that's too deep, wish I hadn't done that, but it's too late now...

 Here is the link to her blog post if you'd like to read how she made this.

Finally here is a  list of products I used:
Harlequin and dots stencils (sorry I don't remember the brand)
Modeling  Paste (I have Galeria brand)
Gesso (I have Golden brand)
Pearlescent  acrylic paint (I have Lumiere by SU)
Large flower: Penny Black die
Smaller flowers: MFT die set
MS butterfly punch
flourish die (Whimsy Stamps - vines)
Word art die (Whimsy Stamps)
Faber Castell gelatos

Aztec gold mica powder (I have perfect pearls brand)
sticky pearls and dots
crochet trim
paper crimper
canvas

Linking up here:
The Flower Challenge
 We would love you to display our banner !
Allsorts
Grab our logo
More Mixed Media Challenge
theme: anything goes- orange is optional

LOOKING FOR OUR CURRENT CHALLENGE? CLICK HERE
Thanks so much for stopping by! 

18 comments:

brenda said...

Wow Ellie, it's a super mixed media creation with lots of texture and elements of interest and a great take on my canvas, thank you so much. I hope you enjoyed making it as much as I do, nothing better than a bit of inkiness !

It's lovely to see you are Allsorts and I hope you will join us again and no reason at all why you can't go in the prize draw.

B x

Viv said...

Hi Ellibelle, wow such a fabulous canvas! great colour and texture too and such pretty flowers also.You made a real work of art here!.... worth all the 'messiness'I am sure!Thank you so much for playing along at The Flower Challenge and we hope to see you again there very soon ;) Viv xx

Leslie Miller said...

Wow, wow, WOW! This is utterly amazing and over the top gorgeous!

Kathleen said...

Absolutely stunning creation, gorgeous colours and everything looks superb.
Thank you for joining our Re-run challenge this week at Allsorts.

Kath x

kiwimeskreations said...

Absolutely beautiful Ellie - love the colours!!
Blessings
Maxine

Tinka's paper wonderlland said...

Looks realy great, all those great coloures and whell, love everithing!!
♥Hugs Valentina♥

Karen Dunbrook said...

wow...gorgeous card...
Thanks for playing along with The Flower Challenge this month.

Tracy Welham said...

That's fabulous, a great take on Brenda's creation. Great colours and textures. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwww! This is gorgeous! LOVING the colors and the textures!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linby said...

wow - this is just beautiful - fantastic work.
I never realised you couldn't win at allsorts - that explains why I never have!
Lynn x

Davi said...

Well I dont know where you are lacking inspiration because your creation is Amazingly beautiful! Love the textures and colors along with your wonderful flowers :) Super job!!

Mervi said...

Gorgeous case of B.s canvas. Lovely messy work! And that's great that you and your hubby have same hobby!!!
Welcome again with Allsorts, thank you for sharing this;-))m

Craftnut said...

Thanks for joining us at allsorts Tracy x

Amy Johnson said...

Just beautiful Ellie! It's so different than what one usually sees in the paper crafting world. I haven't been inspired to craft because this time of year I'm just so busy in the garden. But come winter, I'll be back in my craft room! Although, I do have to make one birthday card this month and some Halloween/fall cards for my kids.

SewPaperPaint said...

Beautiful mixed media work! We would love to have you play with us at Stamps & Stencils or Anything But Cute sometime, sharing your mixed media creations. Hugs, Autumn

Aileen said...

Ohh my goodness what a beautiful creation Ellie, absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much fir joining us in the Flower Challenge, your support is very appreciated. Aileen DT

Lozzy said...

Beautiful canvas with your design and those colours, so pretty...Thank you for joining us at More Mixed Media Challenge...Hugs Lozzy x

Unknown said...

Wonderful colors and texture!
Regards Hannie